This two day adventure to Machu Picchu is regulated by the Peruvian government only in the section of the trek that applies to Machu Picchu. Only 2,500 people can access Machu Picchu per day. Travalers can access in two groups. One in the morning and another one in the early afternoon. For this adventure we include an entrance ticket for the second turn (afternoon). This adventure won't allow you to access Huayna Picchu Mountain since this site can be only accessed in the morning.
Below there is a suggested checking list for the Machu Picchu Backdoor Trek:
This is a list of reasons to book your visit to Machu Picchu with GoTrekPeru.com:
2. Your journey will start with a visit to the Ccochahuasi Sanctuary where you will be able to observe endemic fauna which has been recued from poor living conditions or got injured in the wild.
3. You will spend the night at the Cola de Mono campsite in a comfortable tent with an inflatable mattress as well as appropiate blankets to keep you warm at night while falling asleep with the sounds of nature. This campsite offers 6 ziplines to cross the valley from one side to other one (cost of the ticket is not included in our price.)
4. You will be able to enjoy the natural hot spings of Santa Teresa. Transportation and entrance ticket to the hot springs is included in our price.
5. You will be able to hike to Machu Picchu town from the hydroelectric of Santa Teresa in about 3 hours, and then take a bus to the top of the mountain to hike to the Gate of the Sun from where you will get an incredible view of the site.
6. On the way back to Cusco, you will take the Expedition train to Ollantaytambo for 2 hours, instead of the three and a half hours needed by car. Once at Ollantaytambo, private and not shared transportation will be provided.
7. If you own an ISIC Card, you will get a USD 30.00 gift card to eat at Uchu Peruvian Steakhouse or Marcelo Batata restaurant.
8. We offer a unique two day adventure to Machu Picchu while keeping you safe and enjoying an amazing experience for a fair price.
This adventure to Machu Picchu has been designed as an alternative to the traditional way to get to the famous Inca site. The Machu Picchu Backdoor journey will take the traveler from cloudy high mountains to the town of Santa Teresa to enjoy natural hot springs, and then hike to Machu Picchu town through the high jungle before visiting the site.
Day 1: CUSCO - SANTA TERESA (L), (D)
Day 2: SANTA TERESA - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO (B), (L)
We offer daily departures for this adventure to Machu Picchu
10% OFF for groups of 4 to 6
20% OFF for groups of 7 to more
At 7:00am, your guide will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco to start your adventure to Machu Picchu. The first stop will be the Ccochahuasi Sanctuary where you will be able to observe several species of wild animals which have been rescued, from poor living conditions or injuries, to help them heal, and later on released them into their natural habitat once ready. After this visit, your transportation will take you to the town of Santa Teresa where you will stay at the Cola de Mono campsite. This ride will take you through the Urubamba Valley and the high mountain pass of Abra Malaga (this curvy ride offers incredible landscapes.) The campsite will be reached around 1:00pm.
Once at Cola de Mono, you will enjoy lunch. After lunch, you will be able to relax in your comfortable tent with an inflatable mattress, walk around the coffee plantations or enjoy the 6 ziplines of Cola de Mono (zipline tour not included in this package.) At 5:00pm, you will be taken to the Santa Teresa natural hot springs where you will have time to relax in the pools.
Once back at Cola de Mono, you will enjoy pizza night (all pizza you can eat) and then you will go to bed with the sound of the Santa Teresa River and nature.
After breakfast, you will be taken to the hydroelectric of Santa Teresa where you will hike for three hours and a half to reach the town of Machu Picchu. Once at Machu Picchu town, you will enjoy lunch and then take the bus to the entrance gate to Machu Picchu. Once in Machu Picchu, your guide will take you to the Gate of the Sun and the most important temples and rooms of Machu Picchu. This guided tour will take about 4 hours.
After your tour, you will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes from where you will take the Expedition train to Ollantaytambo. In Aguas Calientes you will enjoy a buffet style lunch before taking the train. Upon arrival in Ollantaytambo, you will be driven to your hotel in Cusco.
Price per person - USD
(2 people minimum per booking)
We offer daily departures for the Machu Picchu Backdoor adventure from April 1 to December 15. Book the departure date of your preference for this private tour.